Venison is a lean, healthy meat that is low in fat and calories. It is also a good source of protein, iron, and zinc and one of our favorite red meats that is on regular rotation in our homes.
There are a million ways to prepare it, but this is one of our favorites when you have access to ground venison. With a fusion of tropical flavors and the savory goodness of venison, this dish is a perfect blend of creativity, nutrition, and flavor to impress your guests time and time again.
- 1 head of butter lettuce leaves or “Cupped lettuce” options
- 1 pound of ground venison
- Kairos Texas Style Dry Rub
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Asian (dark) sesame oil
- Rinse whole lettuce leaves and pat dry, being careful not to tear them; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your ground venison and generously coat with the Texas Style Dry Rub.
- Mix together hoisin sauce, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and ginger; set aside
- Heat oil in a large skillet or over your flat top grill with medium-high heat. Add the ground venison; cook and stir until browned and crumbly, about 5 to 7 minutes. After a few minutes add the onion to the same skillet and cook until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes
- Stir in hoisin sauce mixture to finish
- Use a platter to arrange lettuce cups and spoon your delicious mixture into the center. Add water chestnut or other chopped vegetable for crunch
- For a spicier wrap, add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the hoisin sauce mixture.
- If you can't find water chestnuts, you can substitute another type of chopped vegetable, such as carrots, celery, or bell peppers.
- Serve with your favorite sides, such as rice, noodles, or quinoa.
Where to Get Your Venison
If your freezer is running low on Venison or your buddies are being stingy, then we recommend checking out Axis Deer Venison from Maui Nui