The Best Taco Meat Ever
Our friend, and photographer, Dylan Harkavy, was putting in some work for a recent photoshoot and mixed up what he claimed to be 'The best taco meat ever'. We tried it and we have to agree! This recipe requires that you put in the necessary time, but as with all meals that require time, it is worth it.
- 4 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 packet Kairos Old Mexico Taco Mix
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 can tomato paste
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- Rub the pork shoulder with the taco mix.
- Smoke the pork shoulder for 90 minutes at 185 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the pork shoulder from the smoker and place it in a slow cooker.
- Add the onion, garlic, olive oil, lime juice, chicken broth, tomato paste, oregano, black pepper, salt, and bay leaves to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the pork shoulder from the slow cooker and shred it with two forks.
- Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Serve the taco meat in tortillas with your favorite toppings.
- Like a little extra spice? Double up on that taco mix to bring the heat.
- If you don't have a smoker, you can cook the pork shoulder in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 3-4 hours, or until it is tender.
- Don't have a Pork Shoulder laying around? Give it a shot with your next favorite cut of meat and let us know how it turns out, #CraftedByKairos